Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Grow Lights, heavy on the 'grow'

Here's an up close shot of the lower light array. This is the bottom shelf and the lights were previously mounted individually on each of the upper shelves. This year, to increase the amount of light available to the plants, I consolidated the old lights and mounted a double bulb fixture on the two upper shelves.
These three single bulb fixtures use 18 inch bulbs, so the light available doesn't extend all the way to the ends of the shelf, but I think the denseness of the light bank compensates. Or so I'd like to think...


Here's a close-up of the lights illuminating the newest seedlings- Lulu's San Morizanos. They are doing well and are getting ready for their first transplanting.
Here's a better view of the little guys hugging the lights. They really want to be in some deeper soil. I was worried that I had doomed them a short life as spindly wisps because I sowed them directly into the seed cells that came with the green house kit, but they seem to be holding their own, so far.


These guys are just about bursting off the shelves. They are the Stupice variety and I'm exited to get them to produce this year. Last year's crop was annihilated by the Arctic Blast that nailed them the afternoon I began hardening them off, so I'll be handling things a bit differently next year.
Here's the whole thing. I propped up the seeding trays so they are much closer to the lights. So far, so good...

4 comments:

Bret said...

I'm using the same technique and it's working out great. I now have some 1 1/2 foot tomato plants that are nice and sturdy. I started them the first week of February and am glad I did. I also have some nice peppers and morning glories (that theaten to take over the basement!).

I've also got all sorts of melons, cukes, lillies, poppies, leeks, broccoli, other flowers and veggies as well as one each of a blueberry, blackberry and raspberry bush going.

See you at The Farm!

Bret said...

Farming season is upon us! We helped stake out the plots this morning and mixed in a bunch of cow poop in our new perennial garden! Time to plant Spring things next weekend!

Bret said...

Hey, add to your blog. It's almost Feb 2010. You know what that means! Plantin' time in the basement!

Bret said...

I've started the 2010 crops! A lot of peppers and some tomatoes have been seeded in the basement under the grow lamps. Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, pumpkins and summer squash are next to go. Let the season begin!