Sunday, March 8, 2009

Seedling update

Last summer I was astounded to learn that the foot-tall potted tomato plants at the local green house (the ones that shouted "Feed me, Seymour!" when I walked by) had actually been planted nearly a month after the spindly, quaking, awkward tomato specimens in my basement. I assumed they were using some kind of super secret green house steroids, and that may still be the case, but more importantly I learned that proximity to the light is essential in regulating the rate at which the seedlings gain height.
So this year, I'm following the directions that sage oracle at the green house laid out for me. First, throw the seeds loosely into the growing medium and cover them lightly. Heat the trays from below. When they sprout, get them up into the light. After they show true leaves, transplant them up to their necks and keep them right in the lights.
Supposedly this will yield a super hearty tomato specimen ready to withstand the rigors of late spring (also known as July).
Here are the Stupice variety I planted. They are doing amazingly well. Their seed leaves are enormous and the true leaves are ready to come in. They are supposed to yield a large number of fruit about the size of a baseball that are good for all typical tomato uses, from canning to sauce to slice and eat.
These are the Wisconsin 55 variety I've planted. They are struggling to shed the seed pods and as a result, their seed leaves are a bit jagged and rough looking. Hopefully they rally soon. Both are heirloom seeds from SeedSavers Exchange and I've had mixed results with them previously. Most of my problems resulted from having growing the plants too tall and not hardening them off properly before planting them, so I'm hoping this year will be different.
I'm in the process of re-wiring the light rack they are growing in. I'm adding more bulbs, which I hope will further assist the plants in growing thick instead of tall. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read in my "Backyard Birds" magazine that my grandma signed me up for (I don't have a backyard or birds...)that you can have a fan blow on the seedlings as they grow to "toughen them up" so they are truly ready for the outdoors. And no, I am not kidding. I really read this. It is kind of like the way a mean parent builds a resiliant kid...but with plants.

Unknown said...

It's not Angel....it's kit kat...damn blog.

Bret said...

I'm using the same technique and it's working out great. I have morning glories that are taking over the basement and foot tall tomato plants already (well, I started in February). I'm now planting peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, winter squash, pumpkins, leeks, and more. Hey, I visited "The Farm" yesterday. Nothing but mud I'm afraid, but I can't wait 'till May 15!